Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A great time in Great Britain


So I took my first international trip. I flew 7 hours across the ocean to London, England. Ever since I was ten and found my true love for the Beatles, I have always wanted to visit England.I'm sure London is quite different from Liverpool, but its still a place I needed to check out. I must say it was one of the most beautiful places I've been. I got quite lucky because the weather was beyond perfect. I understand it rains there a lot, but yesterday there wasn't a cloud in the sky!
Of course my day began in the pub. The captain bought us all a round and we started exploring. Since it was my first time the crew decided to show me the tourist stuff. I was actually tempted to get on the top of one of those double decker tour buses they have. Maybe next time.
But basically I saw Big Ben, The Abbey, Buckingham Palace and St. James' Garden.
I also explored a few cute little shops but unfortunately shopping in Europe isn't a good idea because of the exchange rate. I spent way too much money as it is, and I really have nothing to show for it. Except my token souvenir shot glass.
While we were at our second pub having some delicious beer, an enormous group of business met flocked in exactly at 4:00. It was crazy to see how quickly they hit the bars after work. And how many of them there were. They filled up the pub and I'd say a good fifty more got their beers and stood outside the pub. We ended up at a third pub and I had some not so impressive Shepherd's pie. No one told me the food would be anything special. It was fine, but thats about it.
Besides mediocre food, and expensive...everything...the buildings were beautiful, the sights were amazing and I can't wait to go back again.
Next week I'll be traveling to Ireland.
Until then have a wonderful week.

-Megan K

No comments: